- About the Year of Forests
- Stay Involved
- Campaign News
- Media Coverage
- 10 Most Threatened Forests In The World
- Administration Announces Wood Promotion Strategy at U.S. International Year of Forests Celebration
- Forest Service To Promote International Year Of Forests
- Leavell and Politicos Sitting in a Tree"
- Morning Profile: Chuck Leavell, from Trees to Stones
- Rock n’ Roll Conservationists Celebrate America’s Forests, USDA Green Buildings Strategy
- Trees and 'Stones!
- USDA Green Building Initiative Announced at International Year of Forests Celebration
- USDA Leads the Way on Green Buildings, Use of Wood Products
- Virginia Students Celebrate International Year of Forests
Celebrating New York's Forests - Photo Contest
In honor of the International Year of Forests, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Division of Lands and Forests kicked off the Celebrating New York's Forests Photo Contest. This contest was an effort to increase awareness of and appreciation for all types of forests, urban and rural, large and small, public and privately owned, across the state.
Submissions closed on November 1, 2011. Winners were announced Thursday, December 1 and were posted along with the semi-finalists here: Celebrating New York's Forests.
We were looking for the best photos in the following categories:
- Nature (wildlife, plants, natural landscapes, etc.)
- Enjoying the forest (hunting, fishing, trails, camping, hiking, etc.)
- Trees where we live (parks, streets, yards, etc.)
- Forest products (maple syrup, lumber, baseball bats, furniture, etc.)
- State-owned forests (State Forests, Forest Preserve lands, forested Wildlife Management Areas, Campgrounds)
All submissions were screened for acceptability. Acceptable submissions were judged by DEC personnel. The judges reviewed the photographs based on category.
The winning photograph along with a selection of entries (determined by DEC) from each category are posted on the contest web pages. Each photographer may only win one category. The decisions of the judges are final.
Submissions received after November 1 were not considered in this contest.